Sydney news: Bus routes sell-off a ‘betrayal’, Sculpture by the Sea launches
Here’s what you need to know.
Last bus services sell-off a ‘betrayal’, unions say
Unions say the New South Wales Government’s plan is to sell-off the last Sydney bus regions to a private operator is a “deep betrayal”.
Unions New South Wales Secretary Mark Morey has condemned the privatisation which is expected to be confirmed today.
The areas cover routes in Sydney’s north-west, north shore, northern beaches and eastern suburbs.
Mr Morey says the decision is a “betrayal” because the Government did not flag the move at the last election.
“Job security has just been shredded for drivers, while support staff in finance and administration face an even more uncertain future,” he said.
Sculpture by the Sea launches
The annual Sculpture by the Sea installation across the Bondi to Tamarama coastline launches today, themed around the 30th anniversary of the Czechoslovakian Velvet Revolution which ended the former country’s communist regimen.
Ten Czech and Slovak artists are among those contributing to the 100 sculptures lining the two-kilometre walk.
The works include a piece by Czech artist David Cerny, who painted the Monument to Soviet Tank Crews in Prague in 1991 and was arrested for hooliganism.
The exhibition runs until November 10.
Two men charged for alleged assault over filmed ‘pranks’
Two men are facing alleged assault charges after a series of incidents believed to be filmed for social media.
A 36-year-old man was treated for an ear injury after he was approached on George Street and had a handheld horn activated in his ear while a second man filmed the incident on October 16.
On October 21, two men approached a 53-year-old woman in Darling Harbour and touched her several times with a feather duster while filming the incident.
On Tuesday, a 35-year-old woman was walking on Bathurst Street when a man began walking beside her and after hearing a sneezing sound reported feeling water sprayed on her face, neck and shirt while a second man filmed the incident.
A 25-year-old man and a 27-year-old man have been charged with assault occasioning actual bodily harm and common assault and will appear at Downing Centre Local Court on November 13.
Maths to be compulsory in curriculums
The New South Wales Government has announced plans to make maths compulsory from kindergarten to Year 12.
It follows the interim report earlier this week designed to overhaul the entire NSW curriculum.
Currently, students don’t have to do maths as part of the HSC but under the proposal students would have to take a maths course to receive the certificate.
Premier Gladys Berejiklian said she wants to ensure students have the numeracy skills required for the future.
“My vision is for every child in NSW to have the necessary maths skills to succeed in life, whether that’s managing home budgets or preparing them for the jobs of the future in science, technology and engineering.”
Koala protection plan announced
The New South Wales Government will discuss establishing a national park south of Sydney to protect the local koala population under threat from urban expansion.
Environment Minister Matt Kean says he will raise the idea with his fellow ministers after recently visiting the proposed site of the park along the Georges River.
It comes amid community concerns about the impact of the 1700-home Mount Gilead residential development, south-west of Sydney, on the koala’s habitat which was given the green light earlier this year.
“I went down to visit the area, see the issue for myself so we can go away and find a solution to not only assure these koalas survive now but so they can thrive into the future,” he said.