Thursday, January 21, 2021

PIP: Britons could receive council tax reduction – full eligibility rules explained | Personal Finance | Finance

PIP: Britons could receive council tax reduction - full eligibility rules explained | Personal Finance | Finance

PIP payments can prove an important financial cushion for those impacted by a disability or health issue, with amounts varying dependent on a person’s circumstances. PIP is issued based on how an individual’s condition affects them, rather than the condition itself. As a result, Britons could be entitled to between £23.60 and £151.40 per week from the Department for Work and Pensions (DWP).

But for those who are looking for extra support, particularly of a financial nature, this can be achieved through PIP payments.

Many are unaware their receipt of PIP could entitle them to receive support in other areas, such as with a Council Tax bill.

Council Tax must be paid by most people who either own their own home or rent, and can be a significant financial burden.

However, PIP claimants could get this bill reduced or even removed altogether, dependent on their situation.

READ MORE: HMRC issues vital update ahead of Self Assessment deadline

“This award letter is sometimes called a PIP award notice.”

Britons should have received this letter from the DWP when a decision was first made on their PIP claim, and this should be presented when looking at a council tax reduction.

A council tax reduction is available to Britons who are receiving either the daily living or mobility component of PIP, so it is worth enquiring about. 

However, it is difficult to determine how much a person will ultimately receive off their council tax bill.

This is because it is dependent on matters such as how much a person is receiving in PIP, and which component.

To find out more, Britons should approach their local council to determine the specific rules for their area. 

There is, though, specific support outlined by the government for disabled people which is also of note.

People with disabilities may be eligible for the council tax ‘Disabled Band Reduction Scheme’.

The scheme is intended for those who live in larger property than a person would need if they, or another occupant, were not disabled.

However, people will need to provide certain evidence to be entitled to this scheme.

They will need to show that they either have an extra bathroom, kitchen or other room, or extra space inside the property for using a wheelchair.

The property must be the main home of at least one disabled individual – which can be an adult or child, and does not have to be the person responsible for paying the Council Tax. 

It is worth noting people who are considered severely mentally impaired will not be included when working out Council Tax.

Source link

Leave a Response