Thursday, March 4, 2021

Phillip Schofield fears he’s an insomniac ‘I can’t sleep’ – insomnia symptoms

Phillip Schofield fears he’s an insomniac ‘I can’t sleep’ - insomnia symptoms

Phillip Schofield, 58, along with This Morning co-host Holly Willoughby, 39, was speaking to a crystal healing expert when he divulged his troubles with sleep. He said: “I’m quite happy to say – I can’t sleep. I would go as far as to say I’m almost now an insomniac – I struggle every single night.”

So what causes insomnia?

The most common causes are stress, anxiety or depression, noise, a room that’s too hot or cold, uncomfortable beds, jet lag, shift work, alcohol, caffeine or nicotine and recreational drugs like cocaine.

Adults, on average, need seen to nine hours sleep.

So is there anything you can do to treat insomnia yourself?


Going to bed and waking up at the same time every day, and only going to bed when you feel tired, is recommended by the NHS.

Relaxing at least one hour before bed – taking a bath or reading a book – may also help.

Making sure your bedroom is dark and quiet, using thick curtains, blinds, an eye mask or ear plugs, could also do the trick.

And exercising regularly during the day and making sure your mattress, pillows and covers are comfortable are also important.

Avoid smoking or drinking alcohol, tea or coffee at least six hours before going to bed.

Avoid eating a big meal late at night, and don’t exercise at least four hours before bed.

Don’t watch TV or use devices right before going to bed, as the bright light makes you more awake.

Don’t nap during the day, don’t drive when you feel sleep, and don’t sleep in after a bad night’s sleep – make sure you stick to your regularly sleeping hours.

A pharmacist may be able to help with insomnia – they can offer you sleeping aids.

But sleeping aids can often make you feel drowsy the next day.

If changing your sleeping habits has not worked, you have had trouble sleeping for months, or your insomnia is affecting your daily life in a way that makes it hard for you to cope, see your GP.

Your GP may refer you to a therapist for cognitive behavioural therapy.

Source link

Leave a Response