Opposition calls Saskatchewan premier’s COVID-19 leadership embarrassing
REGINA – The Opposition is calling Premier Scott Moe’s handling of Saskatchewan’s recent rise in COVID-19 infections an embarrassment.
NDP Leader Ryan Meili, who is also a doctor, says what was outlined last week by public health officials is insufficient to stem the worrying increase in cases.
New restrictions to try to slow the virus’s spread came into effect today, including an alcohol curfew in bars and restaurants and an expansion of mandatory masks in public indoor spaces to all communities with at least 5,000 people.
Rules have also been tightened for gyms, and schools with more than 600 students must reduce in-class learning.
The province’s latest update reported almost 500 new COVID-19 cases, but partly attributed the high number to a recent snowstorm that caused testing delays.
Moe said on social media on the weekend that further health measures are under consideration.
“What he’s been telling people is that he’s not going to allow any further lockdowns,” Meili said Monday.
“We’ll see what he actually does, but if we look at his leadership these last few weeks it’s pretty embarrassing.”
Hundreds of doctors and a teacher’s union have also criticized the recent public-health measures as not going far enough to reverse community transmission.
Leaders of different economic groups and chambers and commerce, however, are applauding the Saskatchewan Party government’s approach, because it has not forced many businesses to close.
This report by The Canadian Press was first published Nov. 16, 2020.