More Watford players ‘refuse to train’ as club makes statement on three positive tests
More Watford players are reportedly refusing to return to training after the club recorded three of the Premier League’s six positive tests for coronavirus.
Hornets captain Troy Deeney said on Tuesday he would not be attending training as he fears putting his baby son in danger.
And earlier in the week, manager Nigel Pearson said he worried there would be fatalities if the Premier League returned to action to soon.
One Watford player and two staff members have shown up for coronavirus after the first wave of tests carried out on Sunday and Monday.
And after the Hornets were rocked by the news, several more Watford players are joining Deeney’s stance and refusing to return to training on Wednesday, according to The Athletic.
Speaking on Talk the Talk YouTube show, Deeney said on Tuesday he would not be attending.
“It only takes one person to get infected within the group and I don’t want to be bringing that home,” said Deeney.
“My son is only five months old, he had breathing difficulties, so I don’t want to come home to put him in more danger.”
Earlier in the week, Watford boss Pearson voiced his fears that somebody could die if enough care wasn’t taken over the Premier League’s proposed return next month.
God forbid we have a fatality,’ he told The Times. “People are closing their eyes to the threat.
“Yes, we would like to restart it but it’s got to be safe. We should be cautious. To ignore possibilities is foolhardy. It’s about safeguarding people’s health.”
Watford released a statement on Tuesday night confirming the three positive tests.
The statement read: “Watford Football Club confirms that three people have tested positive for the Covid-19 virus following testing at the training ground over the past 48 hours.
“Of those three positive tests, one is a player and two are members of staff. All three have asked that medical confidentiality be respected and, therefore, the club will not be naming those involved.
“All three will now self-isolate for seven days – in line with the protocols set out in Premier League guidelines – before being tested again at a later date.
“Strict adherence to the Premier League guidelines has ensured the training ground remains virus-free and a safe environment for the players to continue to work.
“The club will continue to liaise closely with the affected personnel and there will be no further comment.”
Six positive results for Covid-19 were recorded across the Premier League after an initial wave of 748 tests was carried out on players and staff on Sunday and Monday.
Burnley have confirmed that assistant boss Ian Woan tested positive at Turf Moor, adding that he “is asymptomatic and is currently safe and well at home.”
Sign up to the Mirror Football email here for the latest news and transfer gossip.