COVID-19: Sask. extends restrictions to Jan. 29, five new deaths
Article content continued
“If we’re not able to start to bend this trajectory downward by the end of January, Dr. Shahab may have some more difficult decisions to make,” he said.
Both Moe and Shahab said current measures were successful in bringing down case numbers before the holiday season arrived. Shahab is hopeful they will once again result in falling case numbers, so long as people adhere to them.
“We need universal compliance to see if this can turn around,” he said.
Earlier on Tuesday, NDP Opposition Leader Ryan Meili said it would be “really unwise” for the province to simply renew its restrictions with no changes.
“It’s clear that the current restrictions aren’t successful. Continuing to do something that isn’t working means more people will get sick and more people will die,” Meili told reporters.
He did not give any clear indication of the restrictions he would like to see, instead voicing frustration about the lack of transparency around how the province is making decisions on measures. He called for clearly stated thresholds for when restrictions will be tightened or loosened and for regular public updates with the two-week modelling projections.
Of the new deaths, two were people in their 80s from Regina, two were in their 70s from the Far North West and North West zones and one was in their 30s from the South West zone.
A total of 191 people are currently in hospital with COVID-19, with 29 in intensive care. This is down slightly from Monday’s record high of 197 people in hospital.