Coronavirus US live: Republican proposal slashes weekly unemployment benefits to $200
- Senate Republicans’ plan would cut $600 benefit through September
- Fauci: ‘We’re leaving an open mind’ to what’s possible
- John Lewis’s casket arrives at US Capitol to lie in state
- National security adviser tests positive for coronavirus
- How the global climate fight could be lost if Trump is re-elected
- Sign up to our First Thing newsletter
When Trump said the New York Yankees had invited him to throw the first pitch next month, he had not actually been invited, according to a new report in the New York Times.
His public announcement came as a surprise to both the White House staff and the Yankees, the paper reported, citing a person with knowledge of the president’s schedule. The president was reportedly irritated that Anthony Fauci was due to throw the first pitch at the season opener between the Yankees and the Washington Nationals when he falsely announced he was schedule to throw a pitch.
Big corporations accused of driving environmental and health inequalities in black and brown communities through toxic and climate-changing pollution are also funding powerful police groups in major US cities, according to a new investigation.
Some of America’s largest oil and gas companies, private utilities, and financial institutions that bankroll fossil fuels also back police foundations – opaque private entities that raise money to pay for training, weapons, equipment, and surveillance technology for departments across the US.