Coronavirus live news: Russia reports record daily cases and deaths; Cristiano Ronaldo tests positive
- White House doctor says US President has tested negative for Covid
- Covid in Europe: second wave gathers pace across continent
- Trump holds packed rally after Covid diagnosis as he struggles in polls
- Anthony Fauci criticises Trump for using his words out of context
- Boris Johnson unveils three-tier Covid restrictions for England
Russia’s regulator has granted approval for a trial of its controversial Sputnik V Covid-19 vaccine on people aged over 60, according to the RIA news agency.
In August Russia approved the vaccine for use after less than two months of human testing, including a dose administered to one of Vladimir Putin’s daughters.
More than 2 million people in England on an official shielding list, considered vulnerable to Covid because of their health, will be advised to take precautions and follow social distancing as cases surge, but most will not be told to stay home.
The announcement by the UK government’s Department of Health and Social Care was strongly condemned by patients groups, who argued that the government was doing too little to support those at most risk. Blood Cancer UK called the advice “ludicrous”, while Kidney Cancer UK said they were being asked to choose between their livelihoods and their health.