Coronavirus Live News: COVID-19 infections top 90 million confirmed cases
!1 New UpdateClick here for latest updates
With Uttarayan festival around the corner, markets in Rajkot decked up with a variety of kites including COVID-19 themed kites
Gujarat: With Uttarayan festival around the corner, markets in Rajkot decked up with a variety of kites including C… https://t.co/coEz1tWgOY
— ANI (@ANI) 1610319766000
Odisha: Thirty-one teachers and students have tested positive for COVID-19 in Gajapati district after reopening of schools, Chief District Medical Officer Pradeep Kumar Patra said yesterday. Schools reopened for students of Class X and XII in Odisha on January 8.
States detail preparations for first phase of COVID-19 vaccination drive
- Ahead of the nationwide roll-out of COVID-19 vaccine from January 16, several states on Sunday said they have made all necessary preparations for the first phase of the exercise including identifying the vaccination sites and registration of healthcare and other frontline workers.
- West Bengal CM Mamata Banerjee said her government is making arrangements to provide free COVID vaccines to all the people of the state.
- Delhi Health Minister Satyendar Jain said the city government has finalised 89 sites to roll out the COVID-19 vaccination drive.
- Rajasthan Health Minister Raghu Sharma said around 4.5 lakh health workers will be vaccinated in the state in the first phase.
- Gujarat CM Vijay Rupani said that nearly 11 lakh people engaged in COVID-19 duties, including health care and frontline personnel, will be vaccinated for coronavirus on priority in the state.
- Uttar Pradesh CM Yogi Adityanath said his government will attempt to cover each and every person in the state.
- The Goa government has identified eight hospitals for the first phase of COVID-19 vaccination in the coastal state where around 18,000 health care workers will receive the doses, an official said.
- Karnataka Health Minister K Sudhakar said he would be the first person in the state to be administered the vaccine during phase-I planned for health workers, if the central government allowed public representatives also to be covered.
Nashik district reports 185 new COVID-19 cases
Business of making kite-flying threads in Amritsar hit by Covid-19, availability of Chinese threads
As the Lohri festival approaches, several people making cotton kite-flying threads in Punjab’s Amritsar said that their business has been hit by the Coronavirus pandemic and also the availability of Chinese threads in the market. Every year, Punjab celebrates the festival of Lohri on January 13.
South Africa to store COVID-19 vaccines from India at secret place for fear of theft, black market sales
- The South African government will store the 1.5 million doses of the COVID-19 vaccine that it will receive from India in the next few weeks at a secret place because of the risk of theft for sale at black market prices, according to a media report.
- “The vaccines are a highly-rated commodity once they’re stolen and reach the black market,” Department of Health spokesperson Popo Maja told the weekly City Press on Sunday, adding that if this occurs, there is a risk that the prices of these illegally-obtained vaccines will be hiked significantly.