Sunday, April 11, 2021
Sport

Blackhawks’ Andrew Shaw will forgo playoffs, citing concussion recovery

Blackhawks' Andrew Shaw will forgo playoffs, citing concussion recovery
9views


Chicago Blackhawks forward Andrew Shaw announced on Instagram on Monday night that he will forgo the NHL restart in order to continue his recovery from concussions.

Shaw has not played his Nov. 30, 2019, after which he was placed on long-term injured reserve. He had three goals and 10 points in 26 games this season.

The 28-year-old has previously said he doesn’t know how many concussions he has had in his career, but he figures it’s at least three or four.

Shaw has two Stanley Cup rings with the Blackhawks, and though he won’t join them for their play-in series in a few weeks, he intends to return next season “better and stronger than ever.”

Here is his statement, via Instagram, in full:

I just wanted to let all Blackhawks fans and hockey fans know that I am doing well and getting better every day! I feel healthy and am close to fully being healed from not just my last concussion but from others I have had over the years.

I’ve learned a lot about concussions and head injuries a lot over the past few years thanks to the Blackhawks medical staff of Dr. Mike Terry, Mike Gapski, Jeff Thomas and Patrick Becker. They have helped me in more ways than I can thank them. I love them dearly for doing so because I am the type of person who would play through anything for my teammates.

With all that being said, along with my family who has shown me so much support, we have come to the difficult decision that these extra five months until next season would be great for my health and recovery. I look forward to being back next season better and stronger than ever! There’s nothing I would love more than to be back out on the ice with the boys battling for Lord Stanley.

I’ll be cheering my teammates on and supporting the Blackhawks through this run! Love you boys and miss you like crazy!





Source link

Leave a Response