Friday, February 26, 2021
Science

Bangladesh orders Al Jazeera documentary be scrubbed from web

Bangladesh orders Al Jazeera documentary be scrubbed from web
2views


A documentary by Al Jazeera that aired explosive claims about Bangladesh’s army chief must be taken down from the internet in the South Asian country, a court ordered Wednesday.

The Doha-based broadcaster released the hour-long programme titled “All the Prime Minister’s Men” in early February detailing allegations that the country’s security forces and Prime Minister Sheikh Hasina had links to a criminal gang.

The High Court instructed Bangladesh’s telco regulator to “remove or take down Al Jazeera’s documentary… from Facebook, Twitter, YouTube, Instagram and other digital platforms where it has been shared”, the regulator’s lawyer, Khandaker Reza-e-Raquib, told AFP.

Reza-e-Raquib said the court deemed the documentary was “propaganda against Bangladesh”.

The regulator said in a statement after the court ruling that it would take “appropriate steps to remove the content”.

It is not clear how the Bangladesh Telecommunications Regulatory Commission will remove the programme. It has been posted by Al Jazeera English on its official YouTube channel where it has been viewed more than 6.8 million times.

A spokesman for the regulator said it had already called on Facebook and Twitter to pull down the documentary. There has been no immediate comment from either social media giant about the request.

Al Jazeera English is broadcast by cable television networks in Bangladesh. There has been no court order for the channel to be taken down.

A pro-government group, the Bangabandhu Foundation, has also filed a complaint in court under the country’s sedition laws against Al Jazeera Media Network acting director general Mostefa Souag and several other people featured in the documentary, prosecutor Hemayet Uddin Khan told AFP.

Bangladesh’s foreign ministry has slammed the documentary as a “smear campaign” by the country’s largest Islamist party, Jamaat-e-Islami, which is banned from contesting elections.

Under Hasina’s government, which has been in power since 2009, five of Jamaat’s senior leaders have been executed over war crimes committed during the country’s liberation struggle in 1971.

The army said the documentary contained “numerous false and fabricated stories”.

A statement released by Al Jazeera’s Investigative Unit, which produced the documentary, said that it “stands a hundred percent behind the accuracy of its journalism and the brave individuals who were prepared to take a stand against corruption at great personal risk to themselves and their families”.

Supporters of the prime minister last week burnt effigies of David Bergman, a journalist based in London, who was interviewed for the programme.

sa/grk/bgs

GOOGLE

FACEBOOK

Twitter

Related Links

Cyberwar – Internet Security News – Systems and Policy Issues



Thanks for being here;

We need your help. The SpaceDaily news network continues to grow but revenues have never been harder to maintain.

With the rise of Ad Blockers, and Facebook – our traditional revenue sources via quality network advertising continues to decline. And unlike so many other news sites, we don’t have a paywall – with those annoying usernames and passwords.

Our news coverage takes time and effort to publish 365 days a year.

If you find our news sites informative and useful then please consider becoming a regular supporter or for now make a one off contribution.


SpaceDaily Contributor

$5 Billed Once

credit card or paypal


SpaceDaily Monthly Supporter
$5 Billed Monthly

paypal only




CYBER WARS
Telenor stops listing Myanmar outages, citing fears for employees

Oslo (AFP) Feb 15, 2021


Norwegian telecom operator Telenor on Monday said that concerns for its employees’ safety had stopped it listing forced internet outages in Myanmar following the February 1 military coup.

While the junta has repeatedly forced internet providers to shut down or restrict access since seizing power, Telenor attempted transparency by listing the ordered outages on its website.

But it posted on Sunday that “it is currently not possible for Telenor to disclose the directives we receive from the author … read more






Source link

Leave a Response